Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Modigliani meets Kahlo!

Here I am again to walk you through my journal entry for the month of July.  This month, I had the pleasure of working in Priti Lisa's book, and her artist of choice was Modigliani.  I decided that I wanted to do a piece honoring his style and giving a nod to one of Lisa's other favorites; Frida Kahlo....and off I went!
First I did my addition to her back cover- I don't know why, but this is often the hardest part of each journal for me and I find myself procrastinating over doing it- so I've started making myself-work on that first!

I love his figure paintings, and as I was playing around with it, I noticed that the lines of her body worked well with a rendering of his signature- so, WHEW, my entry for the cover was planned, painted and executed!  
Next, Gemma and then Maggie will add to this cover to complete it before it makes it way home to Lisa!

I designed my spread for Lisa to be a triptych with a Modigliani inspired landscape 
framing Frida's face- I must admit to becoming a bit hooked on village scenes....here it is:

And here is my Frida a la Modigliani- had SO much fun doing this and of COURSE I had to include some words......just because I love doing them so much!

Each month, I've struggled and dug deep to come up with a design for each of these artists we've chosen.  And each month, the artists have seemed deceptively easy and simple to emulate their styles, until I've dipped my toes in and found that NO, it's not simple or easy by any means.  But it HAS made me grow and grow and GROW!  I am SO grateful for my little group of artist friends- I hope we continue this inspiring exchange of art for many years to come!
xxoo
Stephanie

9 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

beautiful pieces!

Kat W said...

Wow these are amazing!!! Your contribution to the back cover is brilliant with his name following the contours of the body - beautiful & clever! Then combining Frida with Modigliani...just wonderful. Your painting of her in his style & the trees and village scene opening up....gorgeous. I seem lost for adjectives & descriptions but what I'm trying to say is that I love these pages & am in awe of your talent. Hugs, Kat xx

Kim Collister Studio said...

Stephanie, I agree with Kat, your pages are truly amazing!
Brilliant idea to combine the two and you did such a beautiful job! Love the floors and the village opening up to Frida is so Lisa, you know how much she loves windows and doors! You completely nailed this one! XX

Priti Lisa said...

oh Stephanie!! Thank you so very much!! I appreciate all of the hard work and hours spent to not just do a page for my book, but really putting thought and feeling behind the whole of me. I feel understood and blessed. It is beautiful work, like all of your paintings are, but this one (actually both) is so personal to me...i feel very connected to it and YOU! Thank you!!! ♥ ♥ ♥

Priti Lisa said...

and i forgot to add...the quote is just perfecto!

gma said...

Stephanie this is wonderful! Love It. It is awesome for me to follow you and see your work first hand. You are such an Inspiration. Frida and Modigliani Wow cool!

Maggie said...

Stephanie, again I am just blown away by your creativity and talent! You always come up with an unusual page configuration and images that suit the owner of each journal. You've honored Modigliani's style plus added special touches for Priti Lisa that I know she will love! Using Frida was inspired, and the quote is so like something Lisa would use herself. Yay you!!!

WrightStuff said...

Oh these are so special! Love what you did with the cover. I always struggle with that too - I have a Chagall cover downstairs waiting for inspiration!! Combining Frida with Modigliani was a stroke of inspired genius!

Unknown said...

If you're attempting to lose pounds then you certainly need to get on this totally brand new tailor-made keto plan.

To create this keto diet, certified nutritionists, fitness trainers, and top chefs have united to develop keto meal plans that are effective, suitable, price-efficient, and delicious.

Since their grand opening in early 2019, 100's of people have already remodeled their figure and health with the benefits a good keto plan can offer.

Speaking of benefits: clicking this link, you'll discover eight scientifically-confirmed ones given by the keto plan.